The 4 advisory commissions (CES, CPC, CFRS and CFAN) were set up by the Board of Directors.
They are in charge of providing the ANFR managing director with an opinion, conducting studies and preparing the measures to take to carry out the ANFR missions under the control of the Managing director. Based on their opinion, the MD proposes the approval of the discussions to the board of directors and informs it of the commission work programmes and the most important measures taken on the subject of spectrum management by the ANFR or by the bodies it participates in, particularly when the measures have been prepared by the commissions. Their members represent ministries or independent authorities, industry and operators of networks open to the public. The CES is an exception: only the assignee representatives take part. The commissions work by consensus.
The commission for spectrum changes gives the board of directors opinions on the examination and coordination of the requests from the various assignee ministries and authorities made to the ANFR. It prepares updates to the TNRBF (National frequency band distribution table) that are presented to the ANFR board of directors.
It is also in charge of:
- looking into all questions relating to the use and distribution of frequencies that have a national or international impact;
- supporting the ANFR managing director to apply article L. 1111-2 of the French defence code.
The CFAN is in charge of giving opinions and making proposals to the ANFR Managing director as part of the operational implementation of the intervention fund , in particular in the intervention geographical zones and on the expenditure and costs to be disbursed.
The spectrum review fund commission is in charge of issuing opinions and making proposals to the ANFR board of directors on the following subjects:
- The pre-financing of spectrum modification operations by the spectrum review fund following requests from assignee public services or authorities,
- The cost of these operations,
- The draft agreements signed for this purpose with public or private entities,
- Board of director draft proposals to determine how the spectrum review fund will be reimbursed.
The spectrum review fund commission is also in charge of issuing the managing director opinions on his decisions to assign spectrum review grants.
The conference preparation commission issues the board of directors an opinion for the ITU world and regional radiocommunications conferences covering;
- the signature of common European proposals;
- the negotiating mandate;
- the composition of the French delegation, which includes the lead delegate and the deputies.